Drinking Socially - The Official Untappd Podcast
Drinking Socially - S3 Ep. 04: From Russia with Love
What better topic for a Valentines Day episode than Russian Imperial Stouts? If it were not for Peter(and Catherine) the Great's love of stouts — we may never have jumped into the high gravity, highly hopped bitter style of stout that was made to please the rulers of a country. Now these are commonly made to please everyone. We're fortunate to have an example direct from Moscow on the show today. Then, we follow it up with an example of America's re-introduction of the style. Today, you'll see Dark Lords, Marshal Zhukovs, and Black Ops all built in homage to this love story of inky black beer. Share your love of dark chocolate, stinky cheese, and maduro cigars with us as we talk about these 2 amazing beers!
What We’re Drinking:
Ivan by Victory Art Brewing
- ABV: 13%
- IBU: 100
- Notes: Our version of the imperial stout, in addition to a fair dose of dark malts, It contains many special malts - whiskey malt (six-row barley smoked on peat), peat brewing malt and Belgian brown malt. This adds to the viscous thick taste and coffee aroma the smells of fuel oil and creosote. High alcohol is masked by a complex aroma, but beware! Beer is great for long, cold winter evenings. It goes well with chocolate desserts, as well as with dishes cooked on charcoal.
- ABV: 9%
- IBU: 75
- Notes: Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.
Show off your love of Untappd. Check out our online store and pick up Untappd branded glassware, shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and more! Go to http://store.untappd.com and enter the coupon code “PODCAST” at checkout to get 20% off all orders
Top Stats for the Drinking Socially Badge
- City: London
- Venue: Chicken & Beer, Atlanta Airport
- Top Beer: London Pride by Fullers Brewery
- Most Unlocks/Day: 476 on Saturday 8th Feb 2020
Russian Imperial Stout History
- Harrison covers the background of the style as we finish our 2nd beer. From the early stories of this creation to please a Russian Czar, to it's resurgence from American Craft Brewers in the last 20th Century.
- Keep an eye out for local bar specials on Flagship beers as this Beer Movement gains popularity in 2020. We like the idea of respecting where you come from, and enjoying a breweries flagship is a great place to start. Click here to learn more.
Would You Rather:
- Wait 30 minutes for all your beers (but they're FREE); or pay full price for your beers and get them immediately?
- Glassware? Drink-ware? We're talking about drinking Beer from Bowls and other objects thanks to Back Channel Brewing and a huge thanks to David for sharing the bowls and the beer!
Jon On Untappd
Harrison On Untappd
Drinking Socially on Youtube
Out of Our Gourds Pumpkin Home Brew Recipe