Drinking Socially - The Official Untappd Podcast
Drinking Socially - Ep. 59: Oktoberfest & 5 Beers!
In the midst of Munich's Oktoberfest, the largest festival in the world — Harrison and Jon will take a drinking tour through Oktoberfest history, and modern day. Breaking the traditional format of the show to review 5 different beers, and share some facts, stories, and history of the event itself.
Seven Cities Tour Update
Greg (Twitter/Untappd), is nearly done with the Untappd Seven City Tour. The event locations have been trending on Untappd for each of the parties so far with only the final event at Cerebral Brewing coming up on October 1st. Follow along on the adventure via Untappd’s social media channels (Twitter / Instagram / Facebook) or here.
What We’re Drinking
Beer #1 - Oktoberfest by Boston Beer Company
- 5.3% ABV
- We begin here as it's the most checked-in Oktoberfest beer on Untappd. Widely available in the US, and really good!
Beer #2 - Copper Legend by Jack's Abby Craft Lagers
- 5.7% ABV
- This beer has been on Harrison's wishlist and rightfully so! Jacks Abby began as a family-owned brewery focusing on craft lagers. This is a great example of the style, and instantly let us know that our 5 Oktoberfest beers were going to be noticeably different!
Beer #3 - Oktoberfest - by Sierra Nevada Brewing a collaboration with Bitburger Braugruppe
- 6% ABV
- This collaborative effort has been happening since 2015 and we felt this would be the perfect beer to transition from the US, to Germany. Each year, Sierra Nevada works with a German brewery to create a new and unique Oktoberfest beer. This is the 2nd most checked in Oktoberfest beer on Untappd this year, and the first time that yeast from Bitburger has left the brewery!
Beer #4 - Oktober Fest-Märzen by Ayinger Privatbrauerei
- 5.8% ABV
- Our first proper German Oktoberfest beer was picked based on Untappd Check-in volume and excitement. This one had been logged by most of our own Untappd friends and we were eager to look for differences in the American versions and the German originals!
Beer #5 - Oktoberfest Märzen by Hacker-Pschorr
- 5.8% ABV
- The final beer in our trip through Oktoberfest. We're hoping that the reviews aren't starting to get non-sensical at this point. This beer, and experiment proved that 5 beers of nearly the same style and ABV can all taste remarkably different. This beer was nothing like the previous 4.
Show off your love of Untappd. Check out our online store and pick up Untappd branded glassware, shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and more! Go to http://store.untappd.com and enter the coupon code “PODCAST” at checkout to get 20% off all orders
The Great American Beer Festival begins shortly! This is the 38th consecutive year for the event. This year it runs from October 3rd to 6th. They have increased the amount of tickets available for sale (62,000!!) with over 4,000 beers to sample!
Jon On Untappd
Harrison On Untappd